Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Oh my narsty.

Narsty is a word I made up* that means super, super nasty.

*of course I didn't make it up, you can urban dictionary even a bunch of random letters and find that it exists as a word (and, for those who are more sensitive, said word usually means something narsty so consider yourself warned).**
**Yes, I know I'm supposed to follow up with the asterisks at the end of the post, but I always forget.

Anyway. I saw a recipe for pasta salad the other day, and I wanted to make it. A note about food: this is so bizarre to me, but it really has become about fuel. I don't feel like making elaborate meals anymore, I just feel like getting the hunger to go away. This is SO not me, but I guess it is a side effect of hanging out with a very active little guy who also happens to cry if I disappear into the kitchen for more than 2 seconds. (I think this has also contributed to the couple of pounds I've recently put on - 2 frozen pizzas and 2 dinners of Kraft mac n cheese in one week...sigh. In keeping with my general philosophy of balance, I have added spinach to the mac n cheese and served both dishes with a giant helping of veggies, but...sigh) (actually, speaking of balance, I have also quit the 2-a-day workouts and instead opted to relax and knit and enjoy some me-time a little more. If a couple of pounds came back as a result of that, I'm okay with it).

So this pasta salad...I could have written down the ingredients and gone to the store, but a combination of laziness and disinterest prevented that. So at the store, I found boxed pasta salad on sale - 3 for $3.19. OK! I got three different kinds and was happy about it. Something quick and easy to put with the barbecue chicken sandwiches on the menu, as well as a nice side for future grilling.

OMG. People. Gagworthy. Narsty. The moral of this story is that shortcuts are bad and fresh, healthy ingredients are good. Lesson re-learned. It's back to the kitchen (and the produce section) I go. But I really don't know what to do about the other two boxes of that stuff. I guess I can donate it to a food bank, but that seems a little "this tastes awful, here, you try!" to me.

Does anyone want them? I'll give you a good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment