Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hear Me Out

I have said twice this past weekend, to two separate audiences, that I want to work on a craft of some sort because I feel like I have nothing to show for myself. Both audiences looked at me and then pointedly at our thriving little boy.

OK, yes. I do have a thriving little boy. Whom I personally believe is a genius (crawling after the cat and whispering "tat! tat!" = genius. No doubt). And I keep a clean house and I cook meals while only rarely burning the bottoms of the pans to a black, tarry mess.

But I don't really feel like I do much for ME. I look at friends' arts and crafts on facebook, and occasionally go to www.etsy.com and think "I could do something like that," but I never really do.

Today that changes. I decided to start from scratch with my knitting. I learned a few years ago and picked it up fairly quickly, then got ahead of myself a little bit with projects that were beyond my expertise....which led to frustration, and later, several half-finished products all about the place. So I picked an "easy" tank to start on, as well as a crocheted handbag. And I hope to pick up a cross-stitch for Reid's room, too.

Reid's naptime is usually spent doing yoga or pilates or cleaning. When I get time to myself, I watch mind-numbing television and before bed, I read (I make it a couple pages before falling asleep). All of this is fine, but it's not really stimulating. I love, love, love being a mom and I love, love, loooooove staying home with my guy. But I feel like I need to create something that's for me. As much as I don't mind cooking or cleaning, to me, these are chores. Crafting will be my hobby.

Hopefully I will have some progress for you to check back on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment